Oil Capacity

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Capacity
From: Acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 21:20:48 -0400
Hi List:
This question is being asked under the heading of no question is a dumb
question.  I changed the oil today for the first time since replacing the felt
on the oil dipstick.  Now I am unsure if I have overfilled the oil or not.  I
have put in 5 quarts and I believe the correct amount is 4.5 quarts.  Having
said that, the oil level on the dipstick is about a quarter inch above the
first line.  I had assumed that the first line on the dipstick was the low oil
level, and the second the high oil level.  Is this the case or am I assuming
incorrectly?  I have always filled vehicles in the past up to the high mark on
the dipstick.  I did not check to see what the oil level would read without the
felt, but I did check the felt and it appears it is seated in the dipstick
tightly.  I seem to recall the oil level before the oil change to have been
close to the second mark, but it wasnt something that I was paying close
attention to, having checked the oil level periodically and found it to be ok.
The car does have a spin on oil adapter, but does not have either a rocker
feed, or an oil cooler.  And, yes, I did check for oil leaks and there are
none.(other than the typical Triumph marking its spot.)
Thanks for your assistance.
Aaron Cropley71 TR6