Re: Rough idle hints needed

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rough idle hints needed
From: William Maslin <cwrm4@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 13:16:31 -0700 (PDT)
Vance,

Sounds like you have done fairly exhaustive work on
the carbs...however I wouldn't rule out ignition
problems.

What shape is your distributor in? When I bought my
car I had .035 of float in the dist shaft! Kinda makes
setting the points at .014 irrelevant. I had similar
problems at idle and starting -- at higher rpm the
engine seemed to somehow fool me and "carry" itself. I
would backfire on initial acceleration as my lack of a
good spark was dumping raw fuel down the exhaust.

Other than that, I would disconnect and plug EVERY
vacuum line, esp the anti-run-on crap (my guess if not
ignition related), and re-start the diagnosis process
from there.

Wouldn't worry too much about the bypass valves -- if
you want to eliminate that variable during
troubleshooting, I would just pull them off and duct
tape off the holes.

William
'74 TR6

--- "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>