Countershaft cluster woes

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Countershaft cluster woes
From: "Mark Creamer" <mcreamer@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 22:58:22 -0400
Well, it seems the one thing I'm having the most trouble with on my
gearbox overhaul is something I least expected: I can't get the
countershaft cluster back in. The manuals say to place the thrust
washers in place with heavy grease, which is supposed to hold them while
you put the cluster in.

Nelson's article suggests putting the front washer in first, then the
cluster, then the rear washer. I've tried every which way, every
combination of perfectly straight in, to front first, rear first, etc.
I've tried setting the box on end and laying down. But the cluster
assembly won't go past the raised shoulder on each end that the assembly
rides against when the rod is reinserted. It wasn't nearly this
difficult to remove. Anyone have a trick?

Thanks!

Mark Creamer
CF53032UO