Re: Backfire/starting

To: mbullard@verizon.net (Mark Bullard)
Subject: Re: Backfire/starting
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:52:44 -0700 (PDT)
Mark---Your no-start after the car has set in a hot environment is
symptomatic of a bad starter.  The onset of this doing the no-start bit
could show up once in a while, then graduate to not wanting to start
when the engine bay is hot. No click when turning the key is what I had
from my original starter after 28 years, with the above conditions.
(TRF's replacement starter now spins the engine what seems to be twice
as fast as I ever remembered it.)

There are stories floating about that a stubborn starter can be coaxed
into operating by "banging in with a long pipe". Where to apply the
force or how many times one can get away with this is unknown to me.
Still, I would test this theory rather than wait 30 + minutes for things
to cool.

Dick
'73