Backfire/starting

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Backfire/starting
From: "Mark Bullard" <mbullard@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:12:35 -1000
Aloha All,

I've got two questions for you that I'm hoping you can help with.

1)  When coming down the hills over here, I tend to get a lot of rumbling (not
really poping or backfiring but pretty loud) and wondering if this is supposed
to be like this or if something can be adjusted.  It's really only when the
car is moving downhill with my foot off the gas pedal.

2) I've got a problem starting the car that is driving me crazy.  After I've
driven it for 20 - 30 minutes and it's warmed up, if I stop briefly, it won't
start again until it cools down.  This typically takes 25 - 30 minutes and is
causing significant frustration when it's a daily driver.  I've replaced the
starter with a new high torque starter thinking it was the solenoid but no
luck (anyone want to by an old lucas starter ;) I've had a couple of people
suggest a heat shield may be needed by the exhaust manifold but it's a stock
manifold and I'm not real sure why this would happen to some and not others.
I've also had it suggested that it might be my ignition that is faulty but
don't know how to check this and I'm getting tired of buying parts without
getting results. One other suggestion was "vapor lock" but I have no idea on
how to check this either.  I've got a new Bosch Alternator that I haven't
installed yet and plan to do so this weekend.  I don't know if that will help
or not but any suggestions, as always, are certainly appreciated.

Great to hear about the TRF Summer Party, sure wish I could have joined you
all, rain or not...

Mark Bullard
Kailua, HI