Re: Front suspension rebuild -- split pins -- dust cap

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Front suspension rebuild -- split pins -- dust cap
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 19:41:24 -0400
Thanks for the tips,

Split Pins
===========
The large one on the trunion bolt/nut came out fine -- just as everyone
said it would, but the small ones on the fulcrum pins were another
story. Just too small and too weak and rusty. Finally gave up, checked
TRF and Moss for new Fulcrum pins availability, and then just got out
the breaking bar and turned the nuts off. The split pins sheared off
with ease. The nut made them look so much like threads that the holes
were almost impossible to see. I punched one out, but the other not. No
go, so I drilled it out.

Dust cap:
There are no #10-32 1-1/4 self tapping screws in Binghamton NY on a
Sunday afternoon. Maybe when the real hardware stores are open tomorrow.

I'm sure glad Triumph didn't put a lip on the dust cap. Would have taken
the adventure out of it. Way too boring...  ;-)

Don Malling