RE: Wire Wheels & Wheel Bearings

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, "6-Pack"
Subject: RE: Wire Wheels & Wheel Bearings
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:02:52 -0700
        Don:

        In my opinion, the manual is just flat wrong in this area. You should
not be able to feel any movement in the wheel when tugging at the top.
        I disregard the manual and tighten the castle nut finger tight, and
insert the cotter pin. I do not back it off 1 flat, this leaves it too loose.
        I had chronic problems with my TR7 in this area, finally took it to a
British mechanic who advised me that the manual procedure was unsatisfactory.
My problem was a vibration at certain speeds, which had two causes; loose wheel
bearings and unbalanced wheels (despite spin balancing them twice!).
        The loose wheel bearings were solved by not backing off the castle nut,
and the balance problem was solved by balancing the wheels *WITH* the trim
rings installed. My mechanic friend spotted the problem in about 60 seconds,
and I had struggled with them for a couple months. Needless to say, I have
followed that advice ever since.

        Just my $0.000002

        Vance