RE: Clunk Diagnostics ( HP ratings )

To: steve bridge <slbridge@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Clunk Diagnostics ( HP ratings )
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:50:46 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, steve bridge wrote:

> >From Shawn:
> >
> ....  They also rate these new half shafts
> >to handle 250HP.
>

>   Now I am curious of how much the originals are rated for?  Any ball park
> guesses from you racers out there?

The originals are good for 200 HP or so. But you need to look at a lot of
other factors like what type of tires before you get too fussy. I mention
this because with lots of power in a TR6, you'll have trouble getting the
power down with street tires, e.g. you won't burn things up if you just
build the power. If you increase the _traction_, then you'll need to
consider the rest of the drivetrain.

FWIW, the Group 44 TR6 used Corvair outer axles and hub flanges with
Mercedes Benz 450 SL sliding spline axles. They were making 200+ HP, so
that should give you an idea as to the answer to your question. Bob
Tullius did not like to lose races due to mechanical problems. Can you say
"overkill"? On the other hand, his pre-race checklist was 4 pages
single-spaced. Check the records, the dude didn't have too many DNF's.

FWIW, there are other driveline limitations besides the axles. The tranny
and differential come to mind. If you are thinking about building serious
HP, then you'll want to look into a serious tranny (like Jericho or Saenz
or one of the custom shops) and a serious differential. Those two stock
pieces are marginal when you're trying to squeeze lots of power from your
TR6.

> SD Steve

later,
rml