Clutch shaft anti rattle spring, to be or not to be that is

To: "Web_disscusion List" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch shaft anti rattle spring, to be or not to be that is
From: "Richard Seaton" <rsh17@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:47:34 -0500
Honorable List,

  I'm looking for opinions on whether or not to use the clutch shaft
anti-rattle spring with my '69 TR-6.
  -I know the earlier TR-6's had the anti rattle spring, but it latter years
it wasn't used.
  - TR-4's had the anti rattle spring and the shaft on the opposite end of the
slave cylinder had a grove in it for a pin to go though to keep a limited
tension on the shaft. Now my 69 doesn't have this grove, so tension from the
spring will possibly (???) cause a wear point on the right side of the front
cover in the tranny or the brass sleeve for the Gunst T/O bearing. I assume
this wear will be limited, but it is a concern.
  - The Gunst sleeve is a very snug fit, but with or without the spring there
is no binding.

So the $1,000 question what are the pros and cons of using the spring, because
I don't have a clue? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Richard Seaton
RSH17@msn.com
View My restoration @ (http://groups.msn.com/Richards69TR6Restoration)