Re: Rough idle hints needed REDUX

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rough idle hints needed REDUX
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:58:14 -0700
        Folks:

        I just talked to my local British Car shop, and
my air valve springs are in. Wahoo! I find out tonight if I
am correct in my desperate hope that new springs will
correct my leaness and rough idle. The new diaphragms helped,
but not enough.
        FYI, I picked up the Haynes manual on ZS carbs, and
it is very useful, although it is by no means thorough. It
doesn't have anything on how to adjust the carb bowl vent
for example, and nothing about calibrating temperature sensors.
        But it does have lots of part numbers, and it does show
that there are *3* different air valve springs for the CDSEV
carbs. Soft, medium, and firm. Soft has no color on the spring,
medium has blue on one end, firm has red on one end (as I
recall from my reading).
        I inspected my springs last night, and no color. It is
possible that the color has disappeared over time, but I am
betting that I have the "soft" springs. This may explain
the issues I have been having, or maybe not. But I thought
it was interesting that you could get the "wrong" spring for
your application. I hope Moss knows what they are doing, and
that I get the 'right' springs...

        Stay tuned,

        Vance