Summary Re: TR6 Tank 2 Filter SS Pipe?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Summary Re: TR6 Tank 2 Filter SS Pipe?
From: "Bob Fabie" <RFabie@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 12:15:30 -0400
As requested, here is a summary or responses I received concerning this
topic:

I've had good experiences with Classic Tube http://www.classictube.com/
, a company that makes brake and fuel lines for vintage cars. I've
always ordered the stainless lines pre-bent and have had to do very
little rebending or adjusting of their product. They list fuel line
"Tank to pump" for $60/mild steel and $90/stainless for pre-bent lines.
________________________________________________________________________--In
order of preference for this line:

1) blow out the existing with compressed air

2) New stainless tubing - harder to work with, but will last forever

3) New "mild steel" tubing

4) Copper or aluminum - easiest to work with, no problems with rust or
gasoline compatability, just softer.  Easier for a leak
    to occur if a "rub point"  is created on the new line, and not as
immune to "road hazards" due to the softness.
I just used fuel line from just about any auto parts store. The only problem
being is the end fittings may need to be reused. Just get new ferals. That's
what I did.
Classic & Performance
80 Rotech Dr
Lancaster, N,Y. 14806
800=882-3711
 I do not care for copper or brass as fuel lines, S/S is the best, this
company pre bends with all fittings and double flares, also most any speed
shop will carry the S/S in bulk.

I used copper in my TR3 in 1973, it's still going strong

 have had great success with alloy brake line tubing. It comes in a variety
of diameters and lengths and be found at any parts store. It's easy to bend
without crimping.

I have always heard (but have not been able to confirm) that copper pipe
(like you get at the hardware store) is to be avoided because it can react
with the gasoline (although the mixtures dispensed from the gas pumps these
days probably should called "fuel" instead of gasoline).  That said, you can
get aluminum (easiest to work with), mild steel, and stainless steel
(hardest to work with) from many sources.  One source is Summit Racing
http://www.summitracing.com. Their catalogue lists aluminum in sizes from
3/8" to 5/8", mild steel in sizes from 3/16" to 3/8", and stainless steel in
sizes from 3/16" to 3/8".  All comes in 20-25 ft rolls with pricing ranging
from $12.99 to $30.99 depending on size and material.

Bob, a 25 ft roll of 5/16" copper-plated bundy tubing (which is the "right
stuff" IMO) is only $18.32 at MMC, P/N 5176K24
http://www.mcmaster.com/

They also have stainless, if that's really what you want.

I think JCW carries bundy tubing too, maybe a little cheaper.

While you could probably "get away with it", copper's propensity to
work-harden and crack under vibration would worry me.  I certainly would not
consider it better than mild steel (which is only slightly harder to bend).