paint details

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: paint details
From: "JIMMY RICHARDS" <andr.jrsquared@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:40:29 -0600
I'm new to the list.  I've been lurking the mail and I'm in awe of the
collective knowledge.

My '74 TR6 has always been garaged.  The body of the car is in good condition
with no visible rust to speak of.  I have recentlly been refurbishing the
original pimento from years of negelect.  I would like to renew the black on
the rear and on the windshield frame.  The original black paint is all but
gone.  On the rear valance, there is more pimento than black, and on the
windscreen, it appears white.

I assume that with the windscreen, (after removing and dismantling) one would
just strip, prime and repaint.  It would seem that stripping the paint from
the back would not be necessary since the black appears to have been
originally sprayed over the pimento, and that seems to be in as good of
condition there as on the rest of the car.

Am I on the right track?  What supplier would have the closest to original
paint (for the black) in an aerosol?  Is the finish matt, satin, gloss? What
would be the most straight forward procedure for a novice painter?  What
should the finish on the rocker panels below the trim be?  On mine, there is a
very rough, black material.  It looks like the undercoat material in the wheel
wells.

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy Richards
74 TR6  CF16521 U