alternator issues

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: alternator issues
From: "Scot Montrey" <SMontrey@nam.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:37:09 -0400
List-  Like its predecessor, which died prematurely, the relatively new
alternator in my '74 (motor is a '69) never seems to quite put out the
charge it should be.  If I drive at night in the rain with the blower on
to keep the windshield from fogging up, it drops to the point that I
worry about running the battery down (though this has yet to actually
happen).

I have gone through basically the entire engine bay and cleaned every
wire connection point that I could find, figuring it's not a bad idea
for a 30-year-old car.  I didn't notice much of a difference, though.
I'm wondering if there's some specific wire I might have missed, like a
ground for the alternator itself, that might be important.  Has anybody
else out there dealt with an underperforming alternator?    Could there
be some completely different cause that I wouldn't even think of?  I'm
not bereft of skill but I'm no mechanic and the electrical system in
particular is vexing - I guess I'm not alone in that respect...

Anyway, thanks in advance if anybody has any advice.

Scot M.