Re: alternator issues

To: SMontrey@nam.org, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: alternator issues
From: Acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:49:44 -0400
Scott,

Alas, you are not alone and your problem has nothing to do with clean or dirty
connections rather it has to do with a stock alternator that is ill equipped to
handle the task at hand.  Depending on your desire for authenticity there are
several modern alternatives to the stock Lucas alternator.  Alternator models
by Bosch, GM and even other models made by Lucas can be had, some even for
substanially less than and original Lucas alternator.  Try checking out the
www.vtr.org website under the technical section(or maintenance, or something
like that, havent looked in awhile).  They address the issue and talk
coherently about your options and how to go about replacing that old alternator
if you so desire.  Also, this had been discussed quite a bit on the list, so
you might try the archives.  http://www.team.net/archive

If you are interested, when I switched my alternator to a GM alternator I wrote
up my experiences and posted it to the list but I have kept a copy for
reference.  The one difference that I detail is how to mount a GM alternator
without having to file or cut the alternator housing.

Hope this helps.

Aaron Cropley