Re: Paint Codes Royal Blue 56 PPG 13126

To: dmallin@attglobal.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Paint Codes Royal Blue 56 PPG 13126
From: Jadewey211@cs.com
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 06:38:32 EDT
In a message dated 8/28/03 3:19:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dmallin@attglobal.net writes:

> I live in Binghamton NY. What is UV? Is this something in rain water? I
>  have heard of people talk of this on the web, but I don't think I have
>  every personally experienced it.
Don - UV refers to ultraviolet, the damaging part of the sunshine. I can't
speak for the SW US area, however here in VA the only clearcoat problems
related
to UV damage are due to shops using low cost clears, the ones that don't
contain any UV blocker. It's a cost issue. A customer shops based on price, so
the
refinisher quotes using low cost material. Most premium clears contain UV
agents and range in price from $150 to $200/gallon + hardeners and reducers.
Lower cost clears contain little or no UV blocker and typically cost the shop
$50
to $100/gallon + hardeners and reducers. The UV blocker is the single most
expensive ingredient in a quality clear. Let me know if you need more
information
on clearcoat systems vs single stage.

Jeff Dewey, Chairperson
VTR2004 National Convention