Up date on broken flywheel bolts

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Up date on broken flywheel bolts
From: "Jim" <ebers@wpa.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 16:30:10 -0500
Happy New Year Everyone :-)

I drilled the bolts, and then used an air body saw to make three cuts in the
remainder of each bolt. Then I took a small chisel and gently knocked each
piece loose from the threads. Looking at the removed pieces, I now know that
the bolts never were close to the bottom of the holes in the crank. The bolts
only go in the holes 10 or 11 threads. I think the problem I had with the 2
bolts were they must have had a knick in the threads, and I didn't see it when
I installed then. I took a die to the 2 bolts that came out, and it was not a
good "new bolt feeling". There were some shavings in the die when I was
finished with each one. I bought new bolts and just for the heck of it I ran
the die on one and nothing was on the die when I removed it. So now everyone
should know, use new bolts for the flywheel. I did call the machine shop that
did the crank polishing, and asked for their assistance my problem.They said
the same thing that the members of "6 pack" suggested also center punch them
and drill the dole till close to the threads and then try and chisel the
remaining material. I didn't mention that the bolts broke off where the
threads end at the shank of the bolt. I used a cutoff wheel to remove most of
the bolts that were sticking out from the crank. The threads in the 2 holes
that were worked on, are now damaged from the bolts. I just picked up another
crank and will have it sent out for the usual work, then put it in the engine.
The one that I now have in the engine will have 4 HeliCoils installed and then
it can be a spare. Now I have another question. Is it okay to use the "RED"
lock tight on the 4 bolts?
Jim