Dumb valve cover gasket question/problem

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Dumb valve cover gasket question/problem
From: Pat Leask <pleask@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 12:39:50 -0800
Okay, I admit it... a simple cork gasket has baffled me.

I'm putting on a chrome valve cover (TR6) and have a new cork gasket. The
problem is that the "Channel" that receives the gasket appears to be too
narrow for the stock cork gasket to fit in to. The gasket it's self is 7mm
wide and 5mm thick. The valve cover "channel" fits the 5mm size well but
when I put the gasket in place as it should be, it rides up on the inside
part of the "channel" that is rounded.

Is it me ?
Is it the gasket?

My thoughts is to glue it in place (Contact cement I was told to use) on the
valve cover and have it "Ride up" on the inside of the "channel" in hopes it
squishes down when the valve cover is tightened.

Thanks, Pat