Re: Hub assembly and rear axle removal TR250

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, "6-Pack"
Subject: Re: Hub assembly and rear axle removal TR250
From: "Greg Dito" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 16:50:42 -0500
Don,

Try to get the hub off of the studs, not the backing plate from the studs.
While this is easier with the trailing arm in the car try sliding off the
inner axle and hit the splined end of the outer axle pretty good with a
rubber mallet.  It will either break free from the plate or the plate and
hub will break free from the studs.  Hopefully you have a vise to assist
you.  Don't worry about damaging the steel backing plate.  It can take a
decent wallop with the rubber mallet.

The clearance between the backing plate and the hub is extremely tight and
is usually the cause for this problem.  After powder coating mine they would
not fit back on the hub until I scrapped off the paint on the plate's
internal diameter.

Greg Dito
CD6250L