Re:Differential rebuild

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Differential rebuild
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 16:52:33 -0800 (PST)
Don wrote:

List,
<,,,axle seals are leaking so I guess if nothing else those should be
replaced, and probably the stub axle bearings while I'm at it.>

Don---I've recently rebuilt three of these diffs. They all -still- seep
a little, at at least one of the three seals. Just enough to question my
process, but not enough to do them all over. This only means that I was
not successful, and not that there aren't any rebuilds that do not leak.

<One follow up question...
I understand the stub axle bearings need to be pressed off/on. Is there
anything special or unusual about these bearings and stub axle or is it
the same as pressing off/on any rear axle bearing. Any machine shop can
do it.>
Thanks,
Don Malling

Like Greg and others found, it took all of a ten ton press to remove
four of these stub axle bearings. Even the driving flanges were a pistol
to press from the shaft. One set of bearings could not be removed from
this machine shop. (Good ol' Nelson said to send them to him, in
exchange for ones that were disassembled.  I will deny this if you send
him yours!)  The point here is they are difficult to remove, whatever
the method. Not wanting to go thru this again in 2025, I polished out
the score marks on these shafts in the bearing area. The interference
fit is still there, but I'm betting these bearings can be done with a
one ton press, next time.

The bearings need to come off to get to their seals. Check the bearing
and their races closely. (A magnifying glass will do) It may not be
necessary to replace them.

Dick
'73