Re: Cam Removal

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cam Removal
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:56:21 -0800 (PST)
Stu---What you further need to remove to get the cam out is the pedestal
bushing. After removing the distributor, remove the two bolt/nuts that
hold the pedestal to the block. Lift out the drive gear.

To remove the fan extension bolt, listers have offered several methods.
Use the one that suits you, which are:

1) A couple of quick blasts from an air wrench.

2) Lock out the flywheel ring gear, and then use a breaker bar, or

3) Use a breaker bar with a 1-1/8" socket. Hold the fan extension with a
pipe wrench. (Cover the extension with a strip from an aluminum can, if
you want to protect it from jaw marks)

Dick

Stu wrote:
<I've come to a point of the cam removal procedure where I have some
questions. The various manuals I have do not elaborate on how to do some
of these fairly simple procedures.
First of all the head is off the engine. The engine is still in the car.
I have removed the distributor but cannot get the drive gear out. Even
though I wiggle it while trying to remove it, the drive gear only moves
a little and then stops. I have tried turning the cam by moving the
crank shaft while pulling on the drive gear..same result.
What is the trick here to get this thing out?
Next question is how to remove the end bolt from the fan extension? Of
course the crank turns when I try to turn the bolt, even with the
transmission in first gear and the parking brake engaged. Any
suggestions.
A balmy 10 F and snowing in wonderful Belleville ON
Stuart Beatty
76 Carmine