Questions about cam removal

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Questions about cam removal
From: StuBeatty@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:59:01 EST
I've come to a point of the cam removal procedure where I have some
questions. The various manuals I have do not elaborate on how to do some of
these
fairly simple procedures.

First of all the head is off the engine. The engine is still in the car.

I have removed the distributor but cannot get the drive gear out. Even though
I wiggle it while trying to remove it, the drive gear only moves a little and
then stops. I have tried turning the cam by moving the crank shaft while
pulling on the drive gear..same result.
What is the trick here to get this thing out?

Next question is how to remove the end bolt from the fan extension? Of course
the crank turns when I try to turn the bolt, even with the transmission in
first gear and the parking brake engaged. Any suggestions.

A balmy 10 F and snowing in wonderful Belleville ON

Stuart Beatty
76 Carmine