Removing U joints from IRS axles TR250 TR6

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Removing U joints from IRS axles TR250 TR6
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:29:05 -0500
I'm having lots of trouble removing the U joints from the IRS axles on
my TR250.

On one axle the circle clips came out easily but the U Joint cups will
not move. Bentley says to remove the circle clips and tap on the yoke to
remove the U joint. No go. I thought I would break the cups loose from
the yoke by putting it in a vice with a socket against the U joint cup
face and still no movement at all. I've tried soaking the cup to yoke
joint with PB blaster, but not over night yet. Still no movement in the
vice.

On the other axle, the circle clips will not come out. I'm soaking them
in PB blaster. I've tried to use a smaller socket and vice to relieve
the pressure on the circle clips, but just as in the other axle there is
no movement -- of course the opposite circle clip is still in place --
I'm just trying the relieve the pressure on the circle clip.

Any hints?

Don Malling