RE: TR6 Transmission question

To: "'Ed Woods'" <fogbro1@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Transmission question
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 18:43:07 -0500
Ed,
Thanks for the response. I have the TRF parts manual, the Haynes Manual,
the Bentley Manual and the TR6 Repair Operation Manual and all of them
state that the thrust washers are the means of adjusting laygear end
float. If you know where I can obtain a "distance piece" (part #59456 in
the TRF parts catalogue) that is longer than stock, please let me know,
as I'm sure that would work also.
Since my original query, I have thought that a .005 or .006" washer on
the back of the front thrustwasher could work also. Anyone done that or
something like it??

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO

Jim,

Float on the laygear assembly is adjusted by changing the "spacer"
(tube) that's in the middle of the gear assembly. Actually, it's between
the constant gear and third gear on the laygear assembly.

I sounds to me as though you don't have The Roadster Factory's blue
spare parts catalog, the best reference in the world for TR6 gearbox
rebuilds. You out to have it and read it before proceeding. Along with a
shop manual, of course.

Ed