Re: 6 Pack Digest V1 #1197

To: owner-6pack@autox.team.net, 6pack-digest@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: 6 Pack Digest V1 #1197
From: TRDOCTOR@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:07:24 EST
In a message dated 1/24/2004 9:26:12 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-6pack-digest@autox.team.net writes:
I'm rebuilding a TR6 transmission (CD45724) from a early '73 model
(CF341U) and have the laygear (countershaft gear) in place but I've got
.016" clearance between the gear and the rear thrust washer. Specs are
.008"-.012". I bought the thrust washers (along with a rebuild kit) from
Quantum Mechanics, but I don't see a listing from TRF, Moss or anywhere
for thrust washers of various thicknesses.
The front thrust washer that I removed has been bent slightly, and I can
see that the wear, while minimal was on the high spot. I really didn't
notice it was bent until I began looking at everything more closely
after determining the laygear end float was out of spec.
Should I bend the new thrust washer? Does anyone know where thicker
thrust washers can be found? Or should I just proceed?

TIA,
You will need to use differential shims between the round "tube" and one of
the other gears.  I wouldn't try to bent the thrust washer.

Sam

Sam and Carol Clark
Green Country Triumphs (Tulsa, OK)
VTR South Central Regional Coordinator