RE: Clutch Return Spring

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Subject: RE: Clutch Return Spring
From: william.mcintire@wright.edu
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 10:51:58 -0500
>===== Original Message From tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor) =====
>Bill Mc wrote:
>
>Back in the dim past, TR2', 3's and maybe some 4's (can't remember on
>the 4's) had an adjustable arm from the slave cyl to the clutch release
>arm with a return spring. The rod was similar to the 6's except the rod
>was threaded into the clevis and could be adjusted for clearance between
>the T.O. bearing and the pressure plate. Spring shoved the piston into
>the slave cyl and the rod adjustment allowed sufficient throw to
>facilitate proper clutch release. Often wondered why they converted to
>the system used by the 6. Old system seemed to work fine....or maybe I
>was just a kid and didn't know any better. Bill
>'70 6
>
>Bill---I can only assume that Triumph wanted owners to do one less chore
>with their  cars. Not having to "adjust the clutch" (like adjust the
>brakes) would fall into this category. Both of these items seem to work
>fine, when the parts are up to it!
>
>Dick -
Think you gotta point there.

Funny thing is (again, this was a long time ago and memory tends to fade along
with the hair line) I don't remember T.O. bearings going south. Clutches were
replaced because of either slipping or running out of lining on the disk.
Occasionally we'd find the classic bolt sheared. We'd replace it and off it
went no probs. We had a much bigger problem with the internal spring in the
master cyl. breaking...fortunately VW Beetle had the answer as their springs
would interchange and not break. Believe this was on late 3's and early 4's,
guess they finally went through the batch of bad springs.

As there isn't a small hill of beans difference between the
transmission/clutch assy from 3's to 6's, I wonder if the component parts are
retaliating from the 'advance' in technology. Think as soon as the temp
approaches the point where water becomes liquid again, I'll make an old time
rod and be the group's scarifical entity. Haven't had the trans out for ~30
years, if I trash the clutch - it's probably due anyway.
Bill