Re: Mating British Car parts...

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mating British Car parts...
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 16:26:04 -0500
Hi Vance,

I concur with Dick. The problem is aligning the trans in the same plane as
the engine. Since your engine is lifted about as far as it will go and the
mating surfaces are significantly further apart on the bottom as compared to
the top, you will need to drop the tail of the trans. With my A-type, I've
found that I must remove the trans bracket to get the proper alignment.

One place where I differ with many others is in the belief that it is easier
to pull (and replace) the engine and trans as 2 units rather than one. My
experience is that it is easier to handle these components as one unit. I
found that pulling the engine/trans with a rented hoist was a simple process
requiring only 2 people (one to be sure the unit doesn't mangle some
important parts). When it came time to reinstall the unit, I rented the
hoist and did it myself, no help (in a newly painted car).

I hope you don't have to resort to yanking the engine again, but if you do,
couple the engine and trans before you slide them back in.

Good luck,
Peter
'68 TR250 (waiting for her owner to install her new SS brake lines)