TR4A single Exhaust used with a 72-74 TR6 dual exhaust header

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: TR4A single Exhaust used with a 72-74 TR6 dual exhaust header
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 21:29:23 -0500
I've discussed this with some list members off line, but I thought I
would like to put this question to others on the list.

I will be using a late model 72-76 head and swept long runner intake
manifold on my TR250.

I was going to use the 68-71 single exhaust manifold and single exhaust
pipe rather than the standard 72 and after dual exhaust manifold and
pipes because of Kas Kastner's and others recommendations that the
single pipe flows better than the dual pipes. However, I have also heard
the the 72 and beyond dual exhaust manifold flows better than the 68-71
single exhaust manifold.

A list member called to my attention that the later TR6 head and dual
exhaust manifold can be married with the single exhaust system of the
TR4A. See parts 50, 51, 34, and 52 from the moss catalog here...

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29122

Notice that the head pipe to manifold gasket 34 and the pipe to the
muffler 52 in the TR4A picture are the same part numbers as are used in
the 72-76 (head pipe gasket) and 68-71 (pipe to the muffler). So it
seems that this would all just bolt together and allow me to marry the
"better" dual exhaust manifold from the 72 and beyond TR6 to the
"better" single exhaust pipe from the TR4A.

Can anyone comment on this? Been there done that? Good idea... Bad idea??

Don Malling