First drive...

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: First drive...
From: "Adam C Beasley" <adam@adambeasley.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 21:43:36 -0500
All,

I took my first drive in my TR6 today (actually the first time I ever rode
or drove one).  I did my best to adjust the carbs (sync and mixture) and set
my timing to approx 4 ATDC when at idle.

My car seems to smoke, it looks like it's either blackish or white (it
doesn't seem to be oil).  I did a little research and saw that bluish is
oil, white is moisture/water, and black is to rich a mixture.  This car sat
for about 2 years and still has the same tank of gas so I'm hoping it's just
the old gas burning off.  Any thoughts?  The fuel has a stabilizer in it
also.  The car seems to idle fine, but seems to miss occasionally. is that
normal?

Second, It feels heavy to steer around turns.  I had a tr7 years ago and I
don't remember it being as heavy. but I've been driving power steering
vehicles for about 10 years straight!  Also, when I hit the gas, the
rear-end seems to dip. I'm guessing springs need replaced.  My first round
in the neighborhood it didn't feel easy to shift into gears, but after some
tuning it seemed a lot easier to shift.  Can anyone describe their cars feel
so I'll have a comparison?

Final question for this email :-)  What can be done about a noisy alternator
(a squeaking noise).  I sprayed WD40 on the front and it would get quieter
for a bit, the go right back to where to squeaking. I also put some motor
oil on the front with the same results.

Thanks and I look forward to your responses!

Adam

73 TR6 (She's ALIVE!)