Re: Leaky Diff??

To: "Adam C Beasley" <adam@adambeasley.com>, "6 Pack"
Subject: Re: Leaky Diff??
From: "Richard Seaton" <rsh17@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 11:01:22 -0500
Adam,

  By my understanding, early TR6's used shims, adjusted the gear lash and just
torqued down the pinion nut. If your Diff has shims then it is easy to replace
the pinion seal. Just remove and replace the nut, flange and seal. Now if it
has the collapsible spacer then the gear lash needs to be reset at least
that's what John Esposito told me a while back. The only problem is that there
is no way to tell if you have the shims or collapsible spacer as there are no
records as to when this change took place.
  If you do replace the seal make sure you purchase Moss Motor's speedi sleeve
for the pinion flange to take care of any imperfections in the flange. Mine
leaked with two pinion flanges that looked very near flawless until the sleeve
was put on.
  In order to remove the flange, get a piece of angle iron, drill two holes
that line up the the drive shaft holes. You will need to drill in such a way
so a socket will fit the flange nut. Use the angle iron to keep the flange
from turning. Once the nut it removed tap the angle iron with a hammer and the
flange will come right off.
  Get a rubber seal and not the original leather type. John Esposito should
have these available.

http://groups.msn.com/Richards69TR6Restoration/driveline.msnw<http://groups.m
sn.com/Richards69TR6Restoration/driveline.msnw>

Richard Seaton
RSH17@msn.com<mailto:RSH17@msn.com>
View My restoration @
(http://groups.msn.com/Richards69TR6Restoration<http://groups.msn.com/Richard