Re: Lifter Mods

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lifter Mods
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:42:30 -0700
John---It is said that most of the lubrication for the camshaft comes
from the crankshaft splashup. Still, oil from the rockers does find its
way to the lifters, and then seeps down the lifter bore and out to the
cam itself.  The lifters turn during operation, so there's no way to
orient a lifter groove away from the cam lobes. (I suppose a machinist
could broach grooves in the lifter bores themselves, which would be
painstaking work.)
 Drilling a hole at the bottom of the lifter would be similar to a large
pit. Pits are said to cause a more rapid decline of the lobes.
  This might be the reason that this "extra" oiling has never been
practiced.

Dick

From: John Davis, who wrote: YEAHBABYTR6@msn.com(john davis) Subject:
lifter mods
Has anyone made any mods to the lifters allowing more oil to the cams.
My machinst says he can either cut small slits on the sides or drill a
weep hole allowing more oil to drip onto the cam lobe surface. Any ideas
on this one.
John Davis
73 in the works