Re: Lifter Mods

To: "Sally or Dick Taylor" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lifter Mods
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:32:32 -0400
> I was not able to click on to enlarge the lifters as shown in the PRI
> site.  It still begs the question of why the hole drilling of solid
> lifters isn't more of a practice with other engine designers. Or is it?
>
> Dick

I should clarify on this after checking out Crower's lifter page again...
note everything always remains in my memory after years ;-)  Crower does not
actually drill the 0.024" hole, they use EDM machining.  Basically, EDM
machining involves submerging a part in an electrolyte solution and then
using an very small high-power electrode to blast and erode material away
from the object to the shape desired.  It is a very precise process and
requires no after-finishing of the component.

Perhaps this exotic machining process is the reason that the oil weep holes
are not largely available on other lifters.  That, and I suppose, the fact
that solid lifters for pushrod motors are not exactly cutting edge
technology anymore... so that major OEMs and manufacturers have no need to
adopt the idea.

But if your machine shop can guarantee lifter and cam lobe integrity, with
their oil weep holes in the lifters, than I would not be too concerned.  The
list sure has had enough messages about poor quality camshafts and lifters
that wear quickly, so any extra oil on their friction faces can not be a bad
thing!  (as long as it is done correctly).

BTW, Crower will use their EDM process to put the holes in your lifters if
you wish... or you do not feel confident that your machine shop can do it /
or they do not offer it.  http://www.crower.com

I have had some Crower parts come through my hands, mostly VW stuff, and it
really is some of the best stuff out there.  I even sold a Crower cam, for a
TR6, to a lister about two years ago I or so... it was a pretty nice cam,
was going to use it for my personal car (until I sold that car).

Kai