Re: Shocks/Springs

To: Adam C Beasley <adam@adambeasley.com>
Subject: Re: Shocks/Springs
From: Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:18:02 -0400
Adam,

Koni Shocks: I installed these four years ago & love them. These are a
popular upgrade for the enthusiast. They will give you a firmer, more
controlled ride. For the TR6 application you do have to remove the shock
for adjustment. I would imagine you will be replacing the stock rubber
bushings before you'll have to adjust the shocks. I have over 25,000
miles on mine & they are as firm as the day I put them in.

TRF competition springs: I installed these at the same time as the
Koni's. I like a firmer more aggressive ride. The car is definitely
firmer but by no means uncomfortable for the street. They lower the car
1" but this can be adjusted with shims to tweak ride height, I like it
the full 1" lower.

Rear shock conversion: The single best upgrade I can recommend. Not only
does it give you far superior wheel control but it installs in under an
hour. I used the VB part # 5-6025 but others make a similar kit. It
includes the bracket & KYB gas shocks. These are one piece brackets that
bolt to the original frame mounting point. I have Pirelli 215/65 tires
on 7" wide Panasports. I have a very slight rub on the inside side wall,
not noticeable when driving but I noticed a  scuff mark on the tire side
wall when doing other maintenance. Stock rims would give no interference.

All this is driver subjective. I want my sports car to handle. I don't
feel like I gave up ride quality but rather gained control. This set-up
is very streetable. Your decisions should be based on your use for the
car & your driving habits. There are some pics of the rear shock
conversion on my web site. If you don't have a pop up blocker brace
yourself :-) .
Good luck

--
Mitch Seff