RE: cam break in?'s

To: "Richard Seaton" <rsh17@msn.com>, "6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: cam break in?'s
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:21:11 -0700
        Richard:

        A smooth idle is not in the picture here. Do not allow your car
idle. Immediately upon getting it started, raise the engine speed to
2000
RPM and keep it there for 15 min. If you must shut down the motor, keep
track of the time so that when you restart, you can complete the
allotted
15 minutes.
        The cam needs LOTS of oil to break in, and the oil comes from
crankshaft
splashing ONLY. If the engine idles, you may not get enough oil to the
cam, and you will probably damage a lobe. The lobe may work for a couple
hundred
miles, but will go flat in an amazingly short period of time.
        Also, I must ask - Did you use either new or reground lifters?
Do NOT
attempt to reuse old lifters. Your cam will fail no matter how carefully
you break it in. The lifters wear mate to their respective lobes, and
can
never be swapped or reused without regrinding or replacement. This is
why you
keep track of the lifter position during an engine tear down and replace
the
lifter in it's original bore (assuming that you reuse your old
camshaft).
        Synchronize the carbs and set the timing after you break in the
cam.
You should be able to get the timing and carbs pretty close without
running
the motor, which will get you by until the cam is broken in.
        My engine started on the first try, and after 5 mins of break in
had a
large pool of oil under it (blew out a galley plug. Oops) so I had to
shut down for repairs. Restarted later and completed the break in. Time
will tell if I did it right... =:-o

        Cheers,

        Vance

1974 Mimosa Yellow Triumph TR6 w/OD