Overheating

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overheating
From: "Phil Beckman" <phil@opentext.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 18:53:20 -0500
I started my car for the first time since last September and major surgery
on a variety of parts of the car over the winter.  Part of the work I did
involved disconnecting the temperature sending unit.  When I put everything
back together, I forgot to reconnect it.  As a result, the temp gauge never
showed that the car was warming up.  Shouldn't have been a big deal but, as
it turns out, there's something amiss with the cooling system too.  I
suspect its something as simple as the thermostat being stuck.  Anyway, I
was puttering around in the garage, glancing at the car every once in a
while waiting for it to warm up when I noticed steam coming from the
radiator.  Stupid of me to not realize something was wrong when the temp
gauge showed no reading after 10 minutes.  Anyway, I immediately shut the
car off when I saw steam.  Then I proceeded to reconnect the temp sending
unit and check the gauge.  It was pegged all the way to the right past Hot.

My fear is that I've damaged the engine.  I know some cars, particularly
more modern cars, are very unforgiving about being overheated.  I don't
really know how tolerant a TR6 engine is of this sort of thing.  Any
opinions?  What are the chances that I seriously screwed something up?  Any
way to check?

Thanks

Phil Beckman
73 TR6