Re: Timing problem

To: DaCRANEz@aol.com
Subject: Re: Timing problem
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 00:06:22 -0700
Mike, and others---I too was led astray by the cam timing proceedures in
the Bentley. I followed these steps years ago when completing an
overhaul and cam change, and ended up with #6 firing when #1 should have
been. Rather than take the timing cover off and turning the cam 180, I
instead turned the distributor drive gear 180 deg., punched the pin out
of the distributor drive dog, and turned it 180 deg.   This then got the
distributor rotor in time with the valves and pistons. Everything comes
out right again this way.

It still doesn't sound like you have a timing problem so far as the poor
idling. If you can get a timing light to show that you are correct, and
the engine doesn't misfire, backfire, or hear arcing from under the cap,
I suspect there's something else going on. A don't know of any
performance cam that will give the idle characteristics of the stock
grind.

If all of this is more than you want to deal with at this time, you may
just be able to jump the plug wires, while keeping the firing order,
till the rotor points to #1 plug tower with the timing pulley at TDC, #1
firing.  Ideally, tho the engine couldn't care less, #1 plug wire should
be near 7 o'clock in the cap.
Every tooth you're "off" at the dist. drive gear requires a move of "two
hours" with the plug wires to get spark timing in the ball park.  (Or
you could end up having your tach cable at an odd angle)

Clear as mud?

Dick