Re: Subject: Rough Running when Hot

To: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Subject: Re: Subject: Rough Running when Hot
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:09:13 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

John suggested possibly a problem with the valve timing... I have to
respectfully suggest that this is probably not the problem unless it's off
one tooth. If you get off my more than that, you get really crappy
compression numbers (like 50 lb. per hole) and the thing will run like
crap and not rev at all if it runs at all.

This motor is actually running, so we can eliminate gross valve timing
error as the source.

I think it would be better to quantify "rough running". I'd look at idle
vacuum and leaks. It could even be that the idle speed is too low for the
cam. I do know that really lumpy cams won't idle too well below 1k rpms
and some won't even idle there. The point here is that maybe by cranking
up the idle stops the motor will smooth out.

As for valves hitting things, unless you have insane compression (like
11:1 or more) and a cam with mondo lift (like more than .450) that you'll
have interference between the valves and the pistons. These are def. not
interference design motors.

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |