Re: H.E.I. cont'd

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: H.E.I. cont'd
From: Dale <tpdwinch@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:37:08 -0700 (PDT)
Nick

Some where in my searches there was a GM HEI distributor that fit the Tr-6.
Will try to find the source for you.

As Dick stated this set up should work. Using 8.8 mm wires and your plugs gaped
at least at .035 you should not be having the spark kicking around inside the
cap.

When researching for using a MSD 6A for my Tr-6, I was told that any car would
work best with a cap that had brass posts. Does yours have brass posts?

Have you check Napa to see if you can get a cap from them?

With this setup I am running the Blaster II coil, Accel 8.8 mm wires, NKG plugs
set at .050 gap. The engine runs strong this way. Also the TR-6 engine is not
in the bay.

Check again the requirements that the manufacture has given for the plug wires
and the spark gap at both the plugs and the air gap between the trigger inside
the distributor.

Will get back to you on that other distributor. hope you find an answer.

Dale

Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net> wrote:
Nick---There is enough space between the cap towers to separate the
firing on the six. You could be on the right track by modifying the
rotor tip. Cutting off the entire back half of the brass tip will not
hurt a thing. First, notice exactly where the rotor tip is in relation
to the cap tower when the timing degree indicator on the pulley says
"fire". You want the rotor dead-center to the tower, so the spark can
only go to the right plug wire. Shortening the rotor tip to half its
width helps the cause.

Resistance to firing, either from the plug wires or the plugs themselves
(as Mitch pointed out) can also make spark arc inside the cap. This
energy has to go somewhere.

The Mallory distributor is a wonderful piece of work, but you should
still be able to get the Lucas to perform without the problems you now
face.

Dick

Nick wrote:
Spam Alert: Re: Hi Energy Ignitions?
Hi Dick,
Phasing was my first thought, but I drilled a
hole in a spare cap and no matter what I tried I could still hear
arching in the cap. I even took my rotor and filed the long nose off
that the TR6 rotor has thinking this would help. I hope I'm wrong but I
think I have an unsolvable problem. In doing some research last night I
found out that this is a common problem with HEI systems adapted to
older cars, seem the towers on the older distributor caps are too close
together and the spark is crossfiring all over the place. I brought this
concern up with the Crane Tech Dept. before I purchased the system and I
was assured this wouldn't be a problem , I hope their right but my gut
tells me this problem can't be fixed without a different cap, which no
one makes.

Let me know if you have any other ideas, Nick