Re: Oil everywhere

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil everywhere
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 17:46:45 -0700
 Joe---When you install the (hopefully) right length reolacement oil
pressure line, see if your car has the little clip on the body flange,
right across from the connection to the block. This clip is supposed to
hold the line out of harms way.

Both the tach and speedo must be removed to get the dash forward far
enough to reach the oil line connection.

I had something similar happen on an old Cheve. The tappets started
"ticking" loud enough to hear it inside, so I'd say the engine could've
ran about a mile with no oil pressure.

Dick

From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com Date: Thu, Sep 2, 2004, 2:48pm (PDT+3) To:
6pack@autox.team.net Subject: oil everywhere
I backed out of my driveway this am and heard a "pop" under the hood
when I turned the wheel full lock. When I got to the end of my driveway,
I noticed I had NO oil pressure. I looked in the rearview mirror to find
the entire crankcase of oil on the driveway. It turns out that the nylon
oil pressure gauge line somehow got caught up in the rubber steering
joint, breaking the line. It's amazing how fast oil is pumped out of
that little line. I'm glad I checked the gauge! I wonder how far I would
have made it? Is it possible to get at the rear of the oil gauge without
taking the dash apart. I maybe able to reach it through the ash tray
opening. Just lamenting the inconvenience
Joe Davis

Check out the new British Cars Forum: