Re: Roll Bar Fabrication

To: Kosta Titzo <ktitzo@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Roll Bar Fabrication
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:37:17 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

The operative for anyone considering a roll bar in a TR6 is: "what is the
intended use?"

If you intend to race, the various sanctioning bodies have
rules/recommendations regarding bars. There are also bolt-in roll bars
from sources like AutoPower, etc. Generally speaking, you'll want a bar
made from a min of 1.5" DOM with .095 tubing thickness. You want mandrel
bends and welds made by a certified welder.

If you intend to drive the car on the street, keep in mind that a roll bar
can acutally _cause_ injuries in the event of a shunt. If you really want
to have a roll bar on your street driven TR6, please, please, please take
time to install high-density foam anywhere you think there could be
contact between your (or your passenger's) head and the roll bar. This is
not a joke... you really need to think about this.

By way of experience, I use an autopower bar in my (autocross) race car.
That particilar bar does not allow operation of a stock TR6 convertible
top, so that might play into your plans. BUT, there are bolt-ins out there
that allow full operation of the top.

Last comment - the idea of the roll bar making the car safer is probably
mis-directed good intent. If you ever get your TR6 in a situation where
rolling over is likely, the actual roll over is likely your least concern.
Trust me, you have to be way out of control to flip a TR6. I'm not saying
it can't happen, I'm saying that it's pretty unlikely.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |

Check out the new British Cars Forum: