Re: rebuilding brake and clutch

To: "Robert McBride" <rmcbride@twmi.rr.com>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: rebuilding brake and clutch
From: "Terry Geiger" <tgeiger@ShoalsBritishCars.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:22:54 -0500
Bob,

I've been through this on my car and here's what I did:

Master cylinders:
I sent my brake and clutch masters to Apple hydraulics.  They will resleeve
(using brass sleeves) and rebuild you cylinders.  Brass is better because it
isn't as prone to pitting as steel or aluminum.  They can also rebuild your
clutch slave if needed.
www.applehydraulics.com

Rear wheel cylinders:  These are inexpensive and are available new from most
British car suppliers.  Any of the following should be to supply these:
http://www.the-roadster-factory.com/
http://www.mossmotors.com/
http://www.victoriabritish.com/
http://www.bpnorthwest.com/

Brakes lines: Replaced all flexible brake lines with the stainless lines.
Mine came from Moss but others also have them.

Front calipers: Mine were working ok so I haven't had to do anything with
them.

Brake fluid:  Recommend going to Silicone (DOT 5) brake fluid in a car that
sits a lot.  It doesn't ruin paint and is less prone to absorb moisture.

Terry Geiger
Florence, Alabama USA
http://www.shoalsbritishcars.org/
'74 Triumph TR6 (for sunny days)
'84 Mercedes Benz 300D (for the wife to drive)
'90 Chevy S-10 (to fetch parts for the first two)

> Hello,,, I would like to get my 1976 TR-6 back on the road,,, but I need
> rebuild the brake and clutch hydraulics...  Where is a good place to get
> the
> parts and does anyone have a list of the part numbers I'll be needing???
> Also
> any suggestions or tips???
>
> Bob McBride
> 1976 TR-6