RE: Wiring Harness and Steering Mounts

To: "John Mitchell" <jmitch@snet.net>, "6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Wiring Harness and Steering Mounts
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:20:38 -0700
 Mitchell:

        I just finished this on my 74. The connector is missing because
it
is no longer being made. You can recycle you old one, but the harness
probably has a female pin connector on it if you look closely.
        Just push that female pin onto either of the male pins on the
PDWA
connector. It should work just fine. The manufacturer supplied the
best solution they could on the wiring harness, given that the original
connector is no longer made.
        I found a couple of other differences; the instrument light
sockets for the small gauges were different from stock on my new
harness and would not accept the original style bulbs. A trip to the
auto parts store got me some bulbs of the correct style, and
everything works just fine.
        I guess this a  caveat for anyone else out there contemplating
replacing the OEM harness. The original manufacturer may still be making
the replacement harnesses, but they are limited in some cases by their
suppliers as to how closely they can match the original design. Be
prepared to fuss a bit with the new harness to get everything working.
It would be best to hang on to your old harness until the new one is
in place and working. That way you can swap (or as they say in England
"swop") any bits you need to get everything just the way you like it.
        I must say however, that it sure looks nice when you are done;
no
more frayed wires, patches, missing harness tape, broken connectors,
etc.

        Vance