handbrake adjustment

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: handbrake adjustment
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 20:11:02 EDT
Now that I have successfully opened up the insides of the doors, repaired
the passenger-side window winder mechanism, and banished rattles from both
sides, I am ready to work on handbrake adjustment.  At present, my  handbrake
is
too loose, so that pulling it fully up really doesn't imobilize the  rear
wheels.  I read the section in the Haynes manual.  Before  adjusting the 2
cables,
it states that the rear wheels should be removed and the  rear brakes adjusted.

If the car is braking fine, is there any need to get into the rear brake
drums when adjusting the handbrake?  Otherwise, the adjustment is done from
the
transmission tunnel area.

Thanks.

Michael