Re: Welding clutch fork to cross shaft TR6 TR250

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Welding clutch fork to cross shaft TR6 TR250
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 23:20:18 -0700
Don---The clutch operating shaft has to come out the side of the case in
order to remove the fork, T/O bearing and such. Welding the fork to the
shaft will certainly take the load from the fork pin, if that is the
goal. But so will adding a second pin, in the form of a bolt, or a roll
pin  Doing it this way not only takes the load off the tapered fork pin
(when this second "pin" is snug) but is removeable, for when the time
comes. As you surmised, welding the fork to the shaft means cutting the
shaft and removing it in two pieces, also when the time comes.

Dick

Don wrote:
Subject: Welding clutch fork to cross shaft TR6 TR250
What are the list's thoughts about welding the clutch fork to the cross
shaft. Will I have to cut the shaft to remove/replace the clutch release
bearing if I weld it? Seems for the cost of a shaft and release fork
it's an easy and sure way out of the broken pin problem -- pulling the
transmission etc.
Don Malling