RE: Welding clutch fork to cross shaft TR6 TR250

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, "6-Pack"
Subject: RE: Welding clutch fork to cross shaft TR6 TR250
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 08:05:14 -0700
        Don:

        My DPO welded the folk to the cross shaft. The welds were so
crappy that they eventually broke, allowing the fork to move on the
cross shaft. The movement was limited, so the clutch still worked
somewhat. Yes, I had to hacksaw the cross shaft to disassemble the
tranny, and replaced them with all new parts. I guess the moral of the
story is that even welding is not a guaranteed fix. Good engineering
beats brute force any day of the week.
        I think that it is about the same amount of work to cross drill
the fork and pin it with a roll pin or a grade 8 bolt, and you can
disassemble it next time the clutch needs work. Much better arrangement
in my humble opinion.

        Vance