Subject: handbrake adjustment

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Subject: handbrake adjustment
From: MTRsix71@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 22:34:45 EDT
Michael,
Sorry but my previous post suggesting to do one side of the cable at a time
will NOT work. Good in theory but not in practice. Later last night I began to
 rethink what I had typed. Over two years ago I first did just what I stated
but the cable connection at the hand brake lever, underneath the carpet and
cover, has a self adjusting swivel bracket to account for some difference in
cable tension between the two cables. And if you adjust one side at a time it
will not work as the swivel bracket pivots and once you connect the other
cable  to it the tension will be way too tight.

I remembered what I did to get mine adjusted since my first plan did not
work. I was lucky enough to have the seats and carpet out of mine when I
adjusted them. I essentially adjusted the u-shaped bracket on each side until I
 got
the swivel bracket to align evenly with both cables under tension by the  hand
brake after 2-3 clicks. This takes some time but worked out fine in the  end.
I had totally removed my cables to clean and lubricate them so I had  started
from scratch.

I realize you already adjusted the lower cone screw and it solved your
problem but I needed to correct my statements so as not to lead someone else in

the wrong direction.

MRankin (types before he thinks..sometimes)
1971 TR6 CC 61212 L