driveline clunk

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: driveline clunk
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 14:41:37 EDT
Listers:

For once, I'd like to offer a technical suggestion rather than just asking
silly questions!

Anyway, I mentioned in a previous post that I had a driveline clunk while
engaging the clutch or getting off the gas, especially in first and second
gear.  I thought that U-joints sounded like the source, and got information
from
several list members about the replacement procedure.  After reviewing  my
Haynes manual and the posts, I decided that this one was over my head and  took
the car into a local mechanic who is willing to work on my car (not typical  in
a place like Miami Beach!).

With me present, the mechanic test drove the car, noted the clunk and that
it seemed to be coming from roughly beneath the seats.  He checked the
U-joints carefully and they appeared to be tight, without excessive wear.
Then he
continued to poke around and noticed that the bracket which mounts the
rear-most part of the transmission to the frame (just in front of the front
U-joint)
was loose.  He tightened up these bolts, and over half of the  clunk
disappeared.

Once home, I tightened up the differential locating pin nuts, which were a
little loose, and the problem improved further.  The rubber bushings on the
rear mounts look worn to me, so I will replace them.  I suspect that will  help
even more.

Perhaps someone out there can benefit from the story.

Michael
'76 Tahiti Blue
CF 57044U