Exhaust Changeover Questions

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Exhaust Changeover Questions
From: <jfarris@troy.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:29:39 -0500
Greetings,

My son and I got a chance to "bond" with his car (73 TR6) a
bit today.

His stock exhaust broke at the manifold earlier in the week,
so we ordered at stainless sport exhaust from one of the big
3.  It would have been nice to know that the manifold to
downpipe gasket was not in the installation kit. $10 more in
parts and $40 to get them here overnight.

Of course we broke two manifold studs getting the downpipe
off and one easyout getting one of the studs out - glad I
drilled that hole all the way through the stud so we could
just drive out the broken easyout.

My question:
1. There was no center hanger for old pipes.  Does the
center hanger go in front of or behind the rear transmission
mount (non-overdrive)?  The new front pipes slid very far up
onto the downpipes so the hanger brackets would be in front
of the transmission mount.  The pipes aren't long enough for
the bracket to fit behind the tranny mount.  Can someone
explain the proper fitment or maybe send a picture?

Thanks,
Jim Farris