Ongoing tribulations (Some good news)

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Ongoing tribulations (Some good news)
From: kmcnelis@nmsu.edu
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:06:26 -0600
I have been asking about thrust washer problems about a month ago.  Got the
engine totally torn down, took it to a machinist.  What we found was that
apparently, the thrust washers had been installed backwards, and the one on
the thrust side had welded itself to the crank.  The only thing messed up was
the bearing cap.  Machinist welded little tabs on the bearing cap to hold the
thrust washer in place.  No other maching necessary, the engine had been
rebuilt very recently.  You could even still see the cross-hatching in the
cylander walls from the honing.  +.005 thrust washers won't fit, am waiting on
standards.

No, the question, I wanna get this right the first time-- the oil grooveson
the new thrust washers go TOWARDS the crank-, AWAY from the crankcase, right?
It only makes sense that the oil grooves are toward what moves, not what's
stationary.

Thanks as always.
Kevin