RE: brake lights not working

To: "'Don Malling'" <dmallin@attglobal.net>,
Subject: RE: brake lights not working
From: Dave Murray <murr32@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:22:32 -0600
Don,

The electrical connections are made through the dielectric grease when the
connector is assembled.  One side "scratches" a new conductive path into the
other connector as the two sides are joined leaving bare metal touching bare
metal.  Connectors are designed in this manner to provide an electrical
contact path when contacts are oxidized (Connectors plated with gold, like
some cell phone battery contacts, do not require this mechanical contact as
they are less prone to oxidation.)  The grease provides a seal around this
conductive path to prevent/reduce further/future oxidation.  A close look at
separated connectors should show some small scratch marks.

Dave