Re: Ongoing tribulations..

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ongoing tribulations..
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 23:15:18 -0700
Kevin---You've got it right. The "white metal" part of each thrust
washers face away from each other when installing over the crank. This
puts the oil groves against the moving (crank) surfaces.
 It's OK to use the +.005 washer with a standard washer, if it gives you
a better end play fit.

Dick

6pack@autox.team.net Subject: Ongoing tribulations (Some good news)
I have been asking about thrust washer problems about a month ago. Got
the engine totally torn down, took it to a machinist. What we found was
that apparently, the thrust washers had been installed backwards, and
the one on the thrust side had welded itself to the crank. The only
thing messed up was the bearing cap. Machinist welded little tabs on the
bearing cap to hold the thrust washer in place. No other maching
necessary, the engine had been rebuilt very recently. You could even
still see the cross-hatching in the cylander walls from the honing.

+.005 thrust washers won't fit, am waiting on standards.

No, the question, I wanna get this right the first time-- the oil
grooveson the new thrust washers go TOWARDS the crank-, AWAY from the
crankcase, right? It only makes sense that the oil grooves are toward
what moves, not what's stationary.
Thanks as always.
Kevin